Sliver

by Shari on April 21, 2013

There is a place in my backyard where I like to go to pray.

Being a wise woman, I first look down to see if I’m about to sit in 1. poop 2. ants 3. thorns 4. mud 5. discarded beer bottles or chicken wing bones from one of our neighbor’s fling-my-leavings-in-joyful-abandon parties. If none of the above are present, I sit right on the ground, and there it is.

A sliver of sunshine that hits this spot in the sweetest, purest fashion. Whatever sun lights up the rest of our miniscule yard tends to be diffuse and ordinary. Not in my sliver. It is bright but not blinding, angular but not harsh, exacting and yet forgiving. And it only appears when the rest of the surrounding area is in shadow, which I suppose aids in its superb clarity.

If you don’t mind hangin’ with my metaphor, my sliver is like hope. Slight, distant, perfect and best seen when all else is dimmed.

I’ve tried to write about the events of this past week, both personal and national. But words fail when it comes to Boston and Martin Richard and the failed gun safety legislation, can it be stressed enough that every gun owner needs the best gun safe? Words embarrass when I attempt to say anything about my recent inner struggles with my own character and weaknesses. And so all I can write about is hope.

If you don’t mind hangin’ with my visual metaphor, my sliver is like this.

No, not a stream of hope and light coming from darkness.

Only a stream of iPad photo technology coming from my son’s nostrils.

That something so ridiculous could make me guffaw in the middle of my sadness, gives me hope.

And then, this.

My resident dog/alien, without a care in the world, basking in a sliver of sunshine.

And this:

That red sliver is a burn on my chest. I got it because I was ironing my shirt. While it was on my body.

And why, you might ask, does such obvious idiocy give me hope? Because God gave me the ability to laugh at myself and I really appreciate it. I appreciate Him knowing how often, how very very often, I would need that gift.

And lastly, this.

That’s a shot of me filming a segment for Kids In The House, a brand-new parenting website. They asked me to talk about two things: using humor in parenting, and using scripture in parenting. It was like a dream come true, being able to talk about my two loves and knowing that I might be able to help, inspire and comfort others with the comfort I’ve been given. In a fairly dim week, it gave me a sliver of hope.

“Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall. But those who hope in God will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:3-31

Many thanks to Leanna Greene (and Jessica, Suzanne, Andrea and all the fine ladies) of Kids In The House, for giving me a mini-vacation in sunny Los Angeles and letting me share my convictions onscreen. I look forward to seeing the finished cut in a few weeks and I hope you didn’t have to digitally remove that hair hanging in my eyes. xo

The Sadder But Wiser Girl April 22, 2013 at 12:55 am

Congratulations on finding your sliver of sunshine, and on the parenting website. Even in the darkest of times, we need to find the hope. :-)

Jeanie April 22, 2013 at 8:37 am

Shari, Love the post, pix…and your sliver silver linings. That’s so cool you got to share about humor and scripture in parenting. Both so essential. Hope the burn heals quickly…

Anna Lefler April 22, 2013 at 1:08 pm

What a lovely post, Shari. I respect a woman who is so in touch with her humanity…and who dares to iron the clothes on her back (front?). Anyway, cheers and peace to you and I look forward to seeing that awesome video!

XOXO
Anna

Carlito April 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I’m so proud of you wifey! We’ve both shed plenty tears and deep cries past couple weeks. Its a Faith journey adventure and we have each other to support and root for. I’m so grateful to be eternally married to you and blessed from heaven that you’re mother of Miguel & the Pistol!

God will throw open the barn doors for you and I and his Glory will be on display! Here’s to our Living Hope. Amen.

James Christian Jr April 22, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Red…
Ironing your shirt while on your body…..

Tracie April 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I love hearing about your sliver of sunshine, and your hope.

Congrats on the parenting website video gig. That is very awesome.

Kristin April 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm

You’re nuts (in a good way, not a “let’s get her in a straitjacket” way). But that’s why I feel like we’re kindred spirits.

Nancy Davis Kho April 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Dude. Ironing is for when you need an excuse to watch crappy TV that you’d never admit to otherwise. When my shirts and linens are crisp, you can bet I’ve watched six episodes of Super Nanny back to back. And bonus: I am not physically scarred by it, only mentally.

So happy for you to be doing this project – it’s a perfect fit for you.
Nan

Shannon April 22, 2013 at 4:30 pm

So glad you found a sliver of light, and hoping that it leads to more and more light.
What is this “ironing” thing you speak of?
And the dog photo? It makes me very, very happy.

Alexandra April 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm

My reaction? My exact words? I canNOT think of a more perfect marriage: wisdom, humility, belief and dependence on scripture: and gratitude for what God has chosen as your blessings.

HOW beautiful that all your prior work has perfectly melded to this point.

I am so very happy.

And proud.

And HAPPY.

xo

Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes April 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Sometimes a little ray of sunshine can go a long, long way.

Lady Jennie April 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

Still waiting for my news lovely friend. And for humor relief read my family jewel post, dog lover and Young Lady friend that you are. What I want to know is are our families going to get to see each other this summer or not

Tarja April 25, 2013 at 4:35 am

Yeah, what Lefler said. Congrats on the fabulous project – look at you, all professional in Los Angeles.

Beautiful post, Shari, but seriously, wrinkles are in. On clothes and elsewhere.

Mom Rants and Comfy Pants April 25, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Sometimes hope is the only thing to carry us through. Thank you for sharing your faith – in God and in humanity. And that comment by Carlito almost made me cry!!