A Moveable White Castle Feast

by Shari on November 26, 2011

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 10.38.34 PM

Growing up, my family was called many things.

"Fun". "Boisterous". "Outgoing". "Obnoxious", possibly.

But there's one adjective that has never been spoken in the same oniony breath with our name.

"Classy".

Which is why, when we took my sister's family into Manhattan for their fancy sight-seeing trip today, this is where we ended up for lunch.

Whitecastle

*White Castle fun fact*   In 1921, when the first White Castle was established, Americans were skittish about eating ground beef, due to Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle" and its graphic descriptions of the unsanitary meat packing industry. So to invoke a feeling of cleanliness, White Castle was designed with white porcelain enamel and stainless steel interiors, click here for the top interior design firms.

Trust me, there is not enough white porcelain enamel in the world to invoke a feeling of cleanliness at the White Castle at 37th and 8th in Manhattan.

But this trip was for my sister, and my sister seeks out White Castle restaurants with a passion usually reserved for foragers searching for black truffles.

We ordered our Crave Case and fondly reminisced about our childhood, when our father would make a Whitey's run and we would sit out in our back yard and munch happily, grateful for the pungent smell of the sliders to counteract the smell of the exhaust from the highway just beyond our fence. We even smiled warmly, recalling the time Dad ate a whole bag of gutbombs and immediately puked them all up on the lawn. Tender memories.

Other sisters may have recollections of their childhoods that involve fine cuisine and no vomit, but for us it will always be the mighty Whitey One-Bite that brings a tear to the eye.

The Slyder.

The Scurvyburger.

The Sphincter Scraper.

Belly Bombs.

Murder Burgers.

Gut Grenades.

Upper GI Tract Clearers.

Rats with Hats.

Pipe Cleaners.

Rectum Rockets.

(Are you crying yet?)

************************************

I was lucky enough to attend the T-Mobile Holiday event, courtesy of the lovely and yummy-cupcake-baking Amy Oztan, a.k.a. Selfish Mom. To get some great holiday shopping app tips, check out my review.

Kimberly November 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I don’t like meat, and I only eat white meat when I’m pregnant (the rest of the time I’m a vegetarian). Josh convinced me to try White Castle’s chicken rings recently, and I was pleasantly surprised. He can eat a dozen of their Sliders, easily. Glad you got to reminisce and enjoy some greasy burgers!

K A B L O O E Y November 26, 2011 at 9:58 pm

There’s a White Castle in Manhattan?? I thought getting the Kmart was cool. Grew up in Queens where one road had two: queens boulevard , otherwise known as the boulevard of death. Belly bombs sometimes come with a price.

Jana@AnAttitudeAdjustment November 27, 2011 at 3:55 am

Did White Castle ever convince Americans their ground beef was okay? That stuff might be half pig, half cow, you know?

zenalicious mom November 27, 2011 at 5:57 am

Oh man…my stomach is aching just thinking about your meal!!!
But everyone looks so happy in the BEFORE picture. So deceiving!

dusty earth mother November 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm

A dozen. Wow. That makes my stomach feel slide-y just thinking about it.

dusty earth mother November 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Carrie, we should meet at the Manhattan WC sometime. (White Castle, not water closet.)

dusty earth mother November 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You really think its half cow? Wow, youre so optimistic, Jana.

dusty earth mother November 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

We have cast-iron stomachs in our family, Tara. We looked almost as happy in the After picture.

Lakiya November 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Those rats with hats remind me of my grandfather. Like your Dad, he would buy sacks of them and all of us kiddies would pig out. I try not to openly admit that I love the belly bombs.

Shari Brooks November 28, 2011 at 4:11 am

Um hello! We love White Castle. I went to school in thr Midwest and we ate those greasy bursts all the time. They’re the Perfect remedy to hangovers. I’ve also been to the White Castle on 37th & 8 th avenue to purchase the crave case for my kids’ school pot luck dinner. While everyone else brings in sushi and wine and home Amex goods, we plop down that box with pride and everyone scurries over to get their fix!!!

Lady Jennie November 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

ew yuk yuk yuk

dusty earth mother November 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

Thats my girl, Lakiya!!!

dusty earth mother November 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Um hello! More reasons to love you, ShariShari.

dusty earth mother November 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

Really, Lady Jennie? That doesnt sound appealing to you in your present state? :-)

Jenners November 28, 2011 at 5:38 pm

We adore White Castle burgers in this house. We had JUST discovered them when they closed the last store in our area. Now the one you just went to is the closest one.

dusty earth mother November 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I KNOW theres one or two in New Jersey, Jenners. Ill find out where for you :-)