Inappropriate (Parental) Laughter

by Shari on September 26, 2010

If you've ever had one of those periods of life where you are trying to keep so many balls in the air that you resemble one of the juggling acts from the old Bozo's Circus, then this post is for you.

I am in a multi-multitasking period. All good stuff, all exceptionally fun, and I am incredibly grateful.

But it's all making me loopy. And when I get loopy, I try to suck it in and look like I have it all under control. Mostly because I don't want anyone to give me that look. The look that was on my friend Vickie's face when I told her that I really wanted two more pug puppies and she said,"Shari… do we need to do an intervention?"

My friend Diana calls it "KYL". That stands for "Know Your Limits".

I never "KML".

So today, with multiple writing deadlines hanging over my head, slightly hyperventilating from trying to suck in my stomach in my snug little dress, and having completely forgotten that I invited an entire family over for dinner, I dropped a whole bunch of balls at once. With a burst of inappropriate parental laughter at church.

My church, thankfully, is full of laughter. None of that stodgy religion for this chick. However, even a church brimming with joy 'n' giggles was a bit taken aback by this scene.

I am fairly certain that I fed my children breakfast this morning. But I don't think any of my brethren and sistren would believe that. Because from the moment I picked up the kids at their bible classes, they were whining "We're hungry… We're so hungry… We're SO hungry…WE'RE HUNGRY!! HUNGRY!! HUNGRY!!"

I was trying to get them out of the building, trying to get them to the pizza shop before something ugly occurred, when they spied a communion tray that someone had accidentally left in the lobby. It was about half full of broken wafers and some communion juice cups.

And they descended on it like pigeons on an discarded McNugget.

They were cramming handfuls of wafers into their little mouths and gulping communion juice. Even this wasn't all that dreadful because hey, we aren't Catholics, we don't believe that it's the literal body and blood of Christ and that they were devouring Jesus himself.

It was only when the communion tray went flying into the air in an explosion of crumbs and juice and fell to the ground and they pounced on it and began rolling on the wafer-laden floor, licking crumbs off the ground, hitting each other and shrieking like banshees, that it got kinda ugly.

And what did their mother do? Did she take control of the situation and say in a gentle yet forceful voice, "Children, that's inappropriate. Please remove your tongues from the carpet"?

Nope. Their mother laughed.

I laughed because I was exhausted. I laughed because I was overwhelmed. I laughed because I was so obviously beyond my limits. I laughed because for all of my attempts to appear in control of everything, I so obviously wasn't.

(And yes, I laughed because it was a teeny weeny bit hilarious. I mean, come on.)

And so, my friends, this was my Bozo's-Circus-juggling-act-gone-horribly-wrong morning. I hope you can relate in some way. Can you? Please tell me you can. Please?

Ami September 26, 2010 at 7:51 pm

No. Cant relate. Mostly because church is against my religion.:-DIt DID make me smile, however…

Melodie September 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Well, I think its pretty hilarious myself. Except if my kids did that in a church Id be mortified. Only because we arent Catholic, but if we were in one of the churches that would mean wed be with my hubbys grandmother, and Id be mortified Id offended her. But otherwise, very funny! :)

Kate September 26, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I just scared my cat. Too funny. I am pretty good at the inappropriate laughter too. When my daughter threw a ball to a friend and it hit him square in the face, I laughed. Come on, it was funny. And it was nerf, so he wasnt hurt. Just stunned.

Amanda Cizek September 27, 2010 at 3:42 am

If I were there, I would have laughed right with you. Good thing you laugh when your balls crash down. I melt down. Think: Shirley McClain in Terms of Endearment. Yup.

Serene @ MomFood September 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

OH, totally. My mom says we kids deserve those days for all the those days we gave her.

Kathy B. September 27, 2010 at 10:23 am

Ha ha – Im relating! However, I would probably have run screaming from the church all the while yelling fire!Im adding KYL to my vocab – good reminder. Heck, I may even tattoo it to my wrist:) Thanks for the giggles!

Carrie September 27, 2010 at 11:21 am

Oh, I can relate. It has been awhile since we have been in church (Hannahs ANC too low) but, some stuff she does at clinic would qualify. Some days it is either roll with the the things thrown your way, or cry. I love that your reaction was to laugh. You are my kind of girl!!

Mrs.Mayhem September 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hooray for laughter! I totally would have laughed, too. (and I can envision my little angels behaving similarly.)

Amber Page Writes September 27, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Sometimes laughter is the only appropriate response. Like when your baby simultaneously poops and vomits on you (moments after you both changed) for the billionth time and then wipes her face in your hair.Or maybe thats just sad. I dont know. I cant tell anymore.

Miss Welcome September 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I am choking with laughter. Had I been there, that inappropriate burst of laughter would have been twice as loud.

Jenners September 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This is hilarious .. and the type of scene that would totally trigger out of control inappropriate hysterical laughter.

mep September 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Hey, when youre hungry, youre hungry. God always provides.I would have laughed too!

fancythatfancythis.com September 28, 2010 at 8:16 am

I wish I could laugh more often at Mayas shenanigans!! Instead I just get mad. Way too much. What is it with kids constantly being hungry? I swear, Maya eats more at one meal than I eat all day long. I feel like my life revolves around feeding her meals and then snacks and then meals…

anattitudeadjustment.com September 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

I would laugh, too. Though Im sure my husband would be simply mortified. He doesnt quite believe in the body of Christ thing, but hes had enough of a Catholic education to…well…believe it.

The Empress September 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Oh, I have just been checking back and catching up and forgot how much I missed your writing.I remember falling in love with your first posts, and now, you have got so many here for me to catch up on.I love your writing: its so simple and true and loving of life.I miss being here. How I wish I had nothing else to do , like back in Jan., when I first found you. If I sound wistful, its cuz I am. I miss those days, when it was just you and a handful of blogs that I followed. And I could keep up every day….

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip October 5, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Okay. So I almost died laughing while reading this. Not only because your description of your kids descending like pigeons on a McNugget just about made me wet myself, but also because I’ve been in almost the identical situation. Worse probably.
I’m a Baha’i and we have something called Feast which is similar to church. So during Feast, I was trying to keep Diego entertained with a pile of Mr. Potato head stuff (we have a really understanding community and they are totally cool with me traipsing in with a gangload of toys) but of course, Diego is not satistifed to build potato heads. He has to have a sword fight with the only potato head sword that probably exists in the whole universe.
So there we are, in feast. The community is singing a song about loving your neighbor and Diego is simultaneously trying to off me with a potato head sword while chanting, “Die, Mommy! Die! I KILL you with my knife. I KILL you Mommy.”
Oh yes, I felt like mother of the year.

dusty earth mother October 5, 2010 at 9:29 pm

okay, THAT story almost made me wet myself.